Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Short Primer in English

When I came to England, I thought that I wouldn't have much problem speaking and understanding people, because we all speak the same language. It was the perfect compromise- I can go abroad without having to learn a new language, which I'm awful at doing. That hasn't been the case.

In England, there are many different accents, not just Queen's English and Cockney. And did I mention how thick they are? There's a Nottingham accent, a Derbyshire accent, a Liverpool accent... it goes on. Throw in Scottish and Welsh accents, and you're totally confused.

I often have to ask people things two or three times so that I can catch what they're saying. I always feel really bad doing so, but most people here seem to understand that I'm a clueless American, and so they give me some leeway.

I'm also a clueless American when it comes to the way that people use words. I'm learning new things all the time. And there are many things that I'm still not certain of. I've seen many shops that call themselves "hotels", but I've also stayed at a hotel. Maybe "hotel" has many definitions. Similarly, there are a lot of pubs, particullarly old ones, that call themselves "inns".

So here is a short list of English-isms that I've come across. I'm sure I'll find many more, but here's a start.

Digestives- the most delicious biscuts that you will ever eat.
Biscuts- cookies.

Pants- underwear
Trousers- pants

Pub- something we have no equivelent of in the States. Most pubs serve food until after dinner time, and it's typically hearty British fare, like Steak-and-Ale pie, or fish and chips, or bangers and mash. They are kind of like a bar, except not.  People go to hang out while drinking alcohol, not drink alcohol while hanging out. The beer is almost always British, and usually gets changed out often. They have little in terms of other types of alcohol, so I usually get a whisky sour or something. One time I made the mistake of asking for wine. The woman told me they had red, and when I asked which type, a look of puzzlement came across her face. "Don't know love, I don't really drink wine" she told me. She then pulled out a dusty bottle, mispronounced the word Shiraz, and poured me a tripple helping.

Pub quizzes- these are pretty popular. People go to pubs, pay a pound or two, and answer a bunch of questions. Sometimes they're cultural, sometimes they're academic, sometimes they are ridiculous. One question might be easy (like, What color is Picachu?) and the next impossible (a question regarding the probablity of rolling 6 snake eyes in a row, flipping 5 heads of a coin in a row, or drawing 4 aces in a row). They are also really fun.

Love- everyone calls people love, or other terms of endearment. I've been called love by the bartenders, the greengrocer, and maybe even the bus driver.

Cheers- kind of like a thank you. Best said to bus drivers when you get off.

Courgette- zucchini
Aubergine- eggplant. These two differences are confusing when you're trying to make a big pot of ratatoulle, like I did.

Societies- these are found in the university, and are like clubs. It's usually shortened to Soc.

University- post secondary education. Almost everyone does university. You go in around 18, and it's a three year degree program. Tuition is cheap (around £3-£4 thousand a year), but English students don't think so. It's also ridiculously competitve.

College- I have no idea, still, what this means.

No comments:

Post a Comment