Monday, October 4, 2010

I Am the Zucchini Queen

In our flat, we have a lot of free time. That's what happens when you only have a few classes that meet, at most, twice a week. Which means that there's a lot of time to kill. Which means that I've been cooking a lot.

It started off one Saturday, when we were supposed to be on our own for cooking. The program has a tab at the local greengrocer, which means that we can just walk over and charge the program for fruit, veggies, and eggs. Megan and I decided to take advantage of this, and made ratatouille (mostly me) and apple pie (mostly Megan) for the members of the flat. Everyone loved it, and I started cooking like mad.

Coincedently, most of the things I've made have had zucchini in them, even if the recepie didn't origionally call for it. Example- what to substitute for lettuce in a BLT? Why, fried zucchini, of course. I've made zucchini bread twice, which my flatmates love. When I made potato soup for everyone, the recipe called for celery, which I didn't have. You know what I did have? Zucchini. And zucchini in potato soup is delicious. When it was my day to cook with a partner (as in, official chore, not just "I have a recipe I want to try out and EVERYONE will try it with me), we made a meat and a veggie lasagna. And in the veggie lasagna? Zucchini.

My favorite zucchini recipe, though, is the zucchini pancakes I made a few days ago. Easy, savory, and delicious, I found the recipe on the blog The Wednesday Chef. I highly recommend this blog, because everything there sounds delicious, and that includes all of the weird German meat dishes the (German) writer is so fond of. And these pancakes were heavenly. You shread three zucchini, sprinkle them with salt, and let them sit for a few minutes. You then squeeze out all the moisture you can, add 3 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup flour, olive oil, feta, scallions, mint, baking powder, and salt and pepper. You mix it all together and fry it up. And it is wonderful. I've been craving them ever since I last made them.

Alas, the last thing I made was Vichyssoise, which has no zucchini in it, but does have delicious leeks. And the next thing I'll be making is crepes, and there are no zucchini in crepes. But hopefully I'll get to make some other form of delicous zucchini before the greengrocer stops selling zucchini so cheaply.

No comments:

Post a Comment